Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Book Review - The Snow Queen



By: Hans Christian Andersen
Illustrated by: Mary Engelbreit
Published by: Workman Publishing Company
Released on January 10, 1993
Age Range: 4 to 8 years
5 Stars- This is one book I will read again & again.

I have to admit to loving Mary Engelbreit's illustrations, so imagine my joy when I discovered this volume of Hans Christian Andersen stories illustrated by Mary? You knew I would pick this up in a hearbeat.

The story follows Gerda's journey as she attempts to rescue her friend, Kay, from the clutches of the Snow Queen. One twist I enjoyed in this classic fairy tale is that every character in here is a girl except the one being rescued. Kay is a boy. I remember loving that twist when my grandmother first read me the story and as I read it to my children, my girls picked up on it right away.

The drawings are sweet, homey and really add to the storybook fantasy feel. The touches of whimsy which Mary Engelbreit is known for are everywhere from the softly falling snowflakes to the round, expressive faces of the characters.

The last page which contains the words that go alongside a gorgeous illustration sum up my feeling for the book as well:

There they both stood, grown up, and yet children -- children in the heart-- and it was summer, warm and delightful summer.
In these warm summer days be sure to pick up this book and read the frosty adventure. This is one book that will sit proudly on our shelf and be taken down on many an evening for a bedtime reading.

Although it is out of print, you can still order this version of the book here and here.

2 comments:

  1. No way! I didn't know she illustrated this. I'm so going to have to find it. Great review! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great book. Loved it as a kid and love it more now that I'm a mommy.

    ReplyDelete

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~ Anna Quindlen

Good children's literature appeals not only to
the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child.
~ Anonymous ~