Friday, February 17, 2012

Book Review: The Biggest Valentine Ever by Steven Kroll

Written by: Steven Kroll
Illustrated by: Jenni Bassett
Publisher: Scholastic
Published Date: January 28, 2006
Source: Purchased
Ages: 3 - 5 years

Synopsis: When Mrs. Mousely asks her class to make valentines, Clayton and Desmond decide to make one together and give it to their teacher as a surprise. But things don't go as planned. First Clayton puts too much glitter on the card. Then Desmond puts on too many hearts. Soon the friends are arguing and they rip the card in half. "I'm going to make my own valentine!" they both say and go home in a huff.



But then Desmond and Clayton realize that by working together they can make the biggest, best valentine ever!

Kids can use the colorful foil stickers to make their own valentines!


The lesson of working together is an important one for all ages. Heck, I still need a reminder myself. Having my third grader read this outloud to our family, reminded me of the pressure we all feel to create something that is THE BIGGEST and BEST in all the world. I do this with kids' birthday parties. My kids do this with homemade gifts especially those for a favorite teacher.

Desmond and Clayton argue, try to do their own individual cards and then come to the realization that working together is best after all. It's a hard lesson and being reminded of it using colorful illustrations of adorable mice is a nice way to visualize the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~ Anna Quindlen

Good children's literature appeals not only to
the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child.
~ Anonymous ~