Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Dreamwood by Heather Mackey, Waiting On Wednesday


By: Heather Mackey
Published by: Putnam Juvenile
To Be Released on: 6.12.14
Pre-Order from: Amazon | B&N
Add it to Goodreads

Lucy Darrington has no choice but to run away from boarding school. Her father, an expert on the supernatural, has been away for too long while doing research in Saarthe, a remote territory in the Pacific Northwest populated by towering redwoods, timber barons, and the Lupine people. But upon arriving, she learns her father is missing: Rumor has it he’s gone in search of dreamwood, a rare tree with magical properties that just might hold the cure for the blight that’s ravaging the forests of Saarthe.

Determined to find her father (and possibly save Saarthe), Lucy and her vexingly stubborn friend Pete follow William Darrington’s trail to the deadly woods on Devil’s Thumb. As they encounter Lupine princesses, giant sea serpents, and all manner of terrifying creatures, Lucy hasn’t reckoned that the dreamwood itself might be the greatest threat of all.


I'm really looking forward to some of this year's middle grade releases. This one looks like it's going to be one of those awesome reads. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I totally love the cover. What middle grade releases are you looking forward to this year?

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a magical fantasy. Go MG fiction!
    Kathryn Cooper Write's WoW
    Formerly Clean Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover too. Saving Lucas Biggs is high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cover is beautiful. I'm anxious to read this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the mention! I feel like I got sooo lucky with the cover and hope you think the story lives up to it! There are a million middle grade books I'm looking forward to this year, including The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher, Steering Toward Normal, The Riverman, The Only Thing Worse Than Witches, Under the Egg ... and I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read the galleys of Dreamwood, and as Kathryn said, it is a "magical fantasy." I loved experiencing the story simply through its spooky, other worldly atmosphere, but Lucy Darrington's search for her father is such an interesting one. She's the perfect plucky protagonist--head strong enough not to take anyone's no for an answer, yet wise enough to realize her faults. It's a story that really made me think about our relation to nature as well, and how our respect and disrespect for it holds mysterious consequences that are difficult to fathom until it might be too late. So, yes, a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.amazon.com/The-Doodleburghs-Brett-Hoover/dp/1495937534/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

    ReplyDelete

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~ Anna Quindlen

Good children's literature appeals not only to
the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child.
~ Anonymous ~