Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Ordinary People Change the World: I AM HELEN KELLER by Brad Meltzer / Book Review #OrdinaryPeopleChangeTheWorld



Ordinary People Change The World is a fantastic series for kids. Let me rephrase that, it's great for adults as well. I've enjoyed reading these books along side my children. I'm thrilled to have the chance to spotlight the entire series though out the month of Febraury, here on Mundie Kids. A couple weeks back I shared my 5 star review for I Am Martin Luther King, Jr here. What a great book. I don't think you could go wrong with picking up any or all the books in this series. Today I'm thrilled to share my review for I Am Helen Keller

ABOUT THE BOOK


By: Brad Meltzer
Illustrated by: Christopher Eliopoulos
Published by: Dial Books for Young Readers
Released on: September 15th, 2015
Purchase from: The AuthorThe Publisher | Amazon | B&N
Add it to Goodreads
Rating: 5 Owlets - I Loved It
*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review

We can all be heroes. That’s the inspiring message of this New York Times Bestselling picture book biography series from historian and author Brad Meltzer

When Helen Keller was very young, she got a rare disease that made her deaf and blind. Suddenly, she couldn't see or hear at all, and it was hard for her to communicate with anyone. But when she was six years old, she met someone who change her life forever: her teacher, Annie Sullivan. With Miss Sullivan's help, Helen learned how to speak sign language and read Braille. Armed with the ability to express herself, Helen grew up to be come a social activist, leading the fight for people with disabilities and so many other causes.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, but just felt in the heart." - Helen Keller 

Out of all the wonderful books in this series, the story of Helen Keller is by far my favorite. I love the way Brad Metlzer wrote Helen's story. It's an informative book that is written in a manner that it's relatable for children, and easy for them to understand what they're reading/what's being read to them. I even learned a few new things myself, reading this book. Within this book's pages readers will learn more about Helen Keller, get to read their name in braille (which we thought was really cool), see actual pictures of Helen, and see the timeline of her life, and achievements. 

One of the things I love about this book, is that it not only teaches readers about who Helen Keller was, it also inspires young readers, that no matter the obstacles you face in life, there will always be away around them (a quote that is referenced in the book). Helen Keller will inspire readers to not let their obstacle, whatever it may be, hold them back. Helen Keller is an inspirational women, who proved that once you put your mind to something, you can accomplish anything, no matter what anyone says. She proved this as a child, and it's something that stuck with her through out the rest of her life. 

As I'll say for all the books in this entire series, this is one that is worth picking up! Though if you had to only choose one book in the series, I would say pick up this one. I Am Helen Keller is perfect for in home libraries, classrooms, and both school and public libraries.  It's also the perfect reference for elementary school history projects and biographies. The illustrations are great, and compliment Meltzer's writing perfectly.  


ENTER TO WIN

Thank you Penguin Kids, we have an amazing giveaway! To enter, please fill out the form below: 

3 comments:

  1. I would love to win this series because it sounds like an awesome way to introduce such wonderful people to my five year old daughter. We read together every day and it would be great to add these to our home library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be an amazing addition for my youngest's and nephew's library! I wish my older boys had these books when they were younger, they all love learning about history, and these books are going to make it so much more fun!
    Thank you for the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My three kids would love to read and be read to this series.

    ReplyDelete

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~ Anna Quindlen

Good children's literature appeals not only to
the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child.
~ Anonymous ~